Each DVD Player that sold in a region will be equipped with a code region. Similarly, the DVD is produced which will also be equipped with area code depending on the allotment where the DVD will be distributed. When the DVD inserted into the DVD player and will be run, first player will check the code. If different then the movie will not be played. Therefore DVD devoted to the European region will not be played with the Player which is intended for the Asian region.
The code contained on the DVD is not a form of encryption but I for one byte of information only.
Here is the division of territory on the DVD:
- DVD region code to U.S., Canada, U.S. territories
- Region code DVD to: DVD region code for Japan, Europe, South Africa, the Middle East (including Egypt)
- Region code DVD to Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
- Region code DVD to Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and Caribbean islands.
- DVD region code for Eastern Europe (including the previous Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
- Region code DVD to China
- Region code DVD Special (custom)
- : Region code DVD to cross International Specials (on airplanes, cruise ships, and the like)
If the DVD is not equipped with the region code, then the DVD can be played on any DVD player. Region code itself is usually intended only for the DVD Video and DVD Game only. DVD Audio and DVD ROM are given almost no region code.
But the region own code now can be hacked with the DVD Player itself using additional Chipped which is specific to hacked code. The addition of these chipped himself, of course, would eliminate the guarantee on your DVD player, because this is an action that is not legal.